Tuesday 2 October 2012

WHY I HAVE CONVERSATIONS


I think that all humans long to be part of a community, a place where you can have conversations and engage. What is conversation? As a starter we can think of it as two or more people talking and listening. My wife always says that men find it hard to listen , maybe there are more women out there that agrees.

Conversations can take place face-to-face or at a distance. It can be done via the spoken word or via sign or symbol (the most obvious case here is the use of chat rooms on the internet). This may sound a bit obvious, but as soon as we begin to think about conversation we can see it is a sophisticated activity that we often take for granted. We can see from this that conversation is a complex activity.

Sometimes I find this quite difficult, even though I want to know and experience that what I have to contribute is significant.

Conversation is a social activity. Apart from talking to ourselves, or to animals, we engage in it with others. To do this we need to think about their feelings, thoughts and needs. In turn, they too must think of us. So this is where the difficult part lies.

It is so complex It that it embodies rules and etiquette. It requires participants to possess skills that are improved with practice. I have decided that if I am going to be part of conversations I would have to avail myself to learn this art.
Picture resource:facebook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment